Dj Ernesty is a gospel disc jockey and the anchor of the radio program KEPPIN IT GOSPEL with CoolFM Abuja. In this post he talks about how to take advantage of the mainstream industry as a gospel artist. Delve in and acquire knowledge that will surely be a treasure to you if applied.
Becoming a Gospel Music Disc Jockey is One if the Most Craziest Things I have done in my life. I felt playing gospel music outside the church walls is one of the most boring things to do at that time because i could count how many Gospel songs can pass for a social event or ceremony that Even Christians who are to prefer Gospel Music at their ceremonies rather go with the secular. Coming down the Line we have more Gospel Artistes with more songs springing out from different angles but at a relatively slow rate compared to the Mainstream. The percentage of church music (RnB,Soul) to other genres of gospel music is relatively at a whopping 90/10.
Here are a few tips to get to the Mainstream with Gospel Music.
- Make Your Lyrics More relatable to a non Christian or a new convert. after all the aim of music is to Reach-out.
- Do away with Long Intros Before the main music starts
- Make the Duration of your Song as short and precise as possible
- Digitally produced songs are More preferred than Live Music. Do Radio edit versions and Leave Live Audio For Live Performances etc
- Introduce More Catchy Vibes and rhythms into the music with Quality production and even if it is Gospel, Good Vibe Can Never Be ignored.
- Take advantage of the Current Genre That is trending and ride on it with your worded lyrics and flows. You will be shocked at the way it will be heard at unlikely places outside the church community. People like Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary etc That Non Christians Vibe to Songs from them.